Saturday, March 22, 2014

For he was drawn out of the water....


He said my name! He smiled at me! She ran to me! She yells my name and stands up for a hug. All these things may be seemingly ordinary, but they carry much weight for me. In our group home are six children with varying disabilities. Some can’t walk well if at all, others can’t talk, and one can’t hear. In all this I find it amazing that at times they are mindful of me! I can’t tell you how my heart and face light up to see Ramona running to come give me a hug. A girl who is particular about having “motherly” figures around chose me! Then there is Estephanie, who is a beautiful young woman in a wheel chair until she sees me, then she lifts herself out of it and gives me a hug. She wants nothing more than to share her life with me and to have me walk alongside of her...me! Moises is a favorite. He wasn’t always. In fact, it took me a long time to notice him and to understand why he was always hitting me. I thought he didn’t like me. But today, when he saw me, he gave me this beautiful smile, just absolutely gorgeous, then he hit me. It is his way of playing. One day I could have sworn he said my name. 

All of these things overwhelm me with honor. That they would rise above their disabilities to acknowledge me! Many times we think our work is to acknowledge the least of these and to serve them, but there is a great reversal here. I can’t fully explain it, but that these beautiful people would show something to me, and share something that is in them that most people don’t get to see; that is precious. Some people can’t get past the spit and drool, some people can’t get past the timidity of each child. Some people don’t wait long enough to see the little boy in the corner merging to play around. Some people can’t handle the broken because they see something they can’t fix, or something that society has told them is wrong. If I ever thought I was condescending to get past these difficult barriers, I was sadly mistaken. The children have condescended to me, and not in a haughty, arrogant demeanor. They respected me and loved me not for having deserved it, but because they are free to do so. They acknowledge me, not because I stoop to their level, but because they have risen to mine. I am humbled by these children, and amazed at the beauty and power God has displayed in them. I am also honored that I can be a voice for the wisdom that they have to give and to share! God is truly using the weak things of this world to make known his mighty deeds.
Luke 1:51-52
He has shown strength with His arm;
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
And exalted the lowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment